Property crimes have declined in the United States in the past decade. In 2020, a total of 1,972 property crimes were reported, which is a 33 percent decline since 2010. but retailers can’t afford to be complacent when it comes to security.
Retailers can use technology to help secure their stores and prevent property crimes. This article will discuss some tips on using technology to secure your retail store.
Install security cameras and keep them in good working condition.
Installing security cameras is essential for several reasons. They can help to deter crime by making people aware that they are being watched. Security cameras can provide footage that can be used to identify the perpetrator if a crime does occur. This footage can then be used to help prosecute the individual. Security cameras can also help to provide peace of mind for store owners and employees.
When choosing security cameras, there are several factors to consider.
- You need to decide what type of camera you want. There are two main types of security cameras: closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras and internet protocol (IP) cameras. CCTV cameras are the more traditional type of security camera. They record footage to a local storage device, such as a digital video recorder (DVR). On the other hand, IP cameras record footage to a network-attached storage (NAS) device or cloud-based storage service.
- You should also consider the resolution of the security cameras. The resolution is the number of pixels that make up the image captured by the camera. The higher the resolution, the better the quality of the image. However, remember that high-resolution cameras require more storage space and may be more expensive than lower-resolution cameras.
- You need to decide how many cameras you need. This will depend on the size and layout of your store. If you have a large store, you may need several cameras to cover all areas. However, you may only need one or two cameras if you have a small store.
Restrict access to the store by using security gates.
Security gates are one of the most critical steps when securing a retail store. Restricting access to the store can help keep unwanted individuals out and protect your merchandise. In addition, security gates can also act as a deterrent, discouraging would-be thieves from attempting to enter the store in the first place.
There are various security gates available on the market, so it’s crucial to select the one that best meets the needs of your particular store. If you’re not sure which gate to choose, be sure to consult with a professional security consultant who can help you make the best decision for your business.
The store can also install a durable electrified push bar. This energized opening mechanism facilitates access control to any doors in the store. When it is electrically locked, it is not easy to open it without being electrically unlocked by the guard on duty. The device is ideal if the store has a lot of doors to monitor.
Use anti-theft tags on high-value items.
Anti-theft tags are essential for securing high-value items in a retail store. By attaching a tag to an item, store owners can deter thieves from attempting to steal it. If a thief does manage to remove the tag, the alarm on the tag will sound, alerting store employees to the attempted theft.
While anti-theft tags are not foolproof, they are valuable in deterring theft and protecting merchandise. Store owners should consider using them on items frequently targeted by thieves, such as electronics, jewelry, and designer clothing.
There are a few things to keep in mind when using anti-theft tags:
- Make sure the tags are correctly attached to the merchandise. Thieves can sometimes remove tags that are not adequately secured.
- Be sure to deactivate the tags when merchandise is sold. The alarms will sound if the tags are not deactivated when an item is brought out of the store.
- Do not attach tags to items that are not for sale. This will only serve to annoy customers and could result in false alarms.
Place security stickers on merchandise to deter theft.
Security stickers are cost-effective and versatile tools to secure a retail store. They are easy to apply and can be placed on various items, including electronics, windows, and doors.
Security stickers help deter thieves when placed on the merchandise by making it obvious that the item is under surveillance. In addition, the stickers can also act as a visual deterrent, discouraging would-be thieves from attempting to steal the item in the first place.
Security stickers are available in various sizes, shapes, and colors. Store owners should select the sticker that best meets the needs of their particular business.
Following these tips can help secure your retail store and deter thieves. You can create a safe and secure environment for your employees and customers by leveraging technology.